Magic Ring – Magic Circle
All parts you crochet in the round start with a magic ring. A magic ring is a ring of single crochets where you tighten the thread and therefore have a nice closed starting circle.
- You form a ring with your yarn, with the thread on the left running upwards along the ring (the thread is double there). You put the crochet hook through the hole of the ring and pick up the thread that runs away to the top (located on the outside of your crochet hook) from the bottom and pull it through the ring.
- You pull that thread up as a loop and pick up the thread again at the top of the ring and pull it through the loop, your ring is now fixed. This stitch does not count.
- Insert the hook through the ring, pick up the yarn, you now have 2 loops, then wrap the yarn around your hook again and pull it through the 2 loops, this is the first single crochet of the ring.
- Crochet the number of single crochets for the ring as shown in the pattern (usually 6).
- Then gently pull the loose end of the thread. You can see that the ring closes. Your ring is complete and you can start Round 2.